Thursday, March 26, 2009

1050 CHUM


Godspeed, old friend.

A few years ago in college I heard some murmurings of 1050 CHUM dropping their oldies format and broadcasting CP24 material. Today I finally received the news that it has. This is bullshit.

The CityPulse stuff officially launched this morning which put an end to the oldies radio station I have known my whole life, aside from a brief stint as a sports-talk station, which was also bullshit.

I tuned in when I read the news to see if it was true and sure enough, it was. I listened for a bit while slowly becoming irate because my internet wasn't fucking working properly. This happens quite frequently at home. My bullshit dial-up internet becomes unresponsive on a regular basis and I can't fucking figure out why. It should go on my list. But it won't. At least not yet. Because nobody wants to read about my internet and I have no desire to write about it.

Back to CP24/CHUM. I ended up super-pissed and this AM station was on and it sounded like a modem because of the reception. What? Oh...silly me. That screeching sound that you used to get when you logged onto the internet in 1997. Back when I wasn't the only asshole in the world with dial-up internet.

Now back to CP24/CHUM. I was pissed, my internet wasn't working, and I was listening to some bitch talking over an annoying screeching sound. And then the breaking point came when I heard some lady say "I'm just on Twitter all the time!" Fuck Shitter and fuck that woman. I flew into a rage and clubbed my radio and my car. And then I calmed down and wondered to myself...why the car?

Honestly, the whole time I was listening it was just technical problem after miscommunication after technical problem. But I'm a nice, reasonable guy (obviously) so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I know how radio works and yes, there will be some problems on the first day.

I'm really just kind of saddened because they switched formats because nobody was listening to the oldies stuff (this is what they say). But who the fuck wants to listen to CityPulse shit on AM radio? I picture skinny conspiracy theorists in their late 30s in their empty apartments where they live alone....no wait. You ever see the movie Pi? That's the guy who listens to CP24 on AM radio. People that are probably really, really smart but mentally disturbed. Those with severe social flaws.

This is just one more station that is no longer paying royalties to ancient rock and roll stars. How the fuck are Gerry and the Pacemakers going to make it through retirement!? Didn't think of that, now did you, 1050?

No comments:

Post a Comment