Monday, March 23, 2009

3 Songs That Are Completely Worn Out


Don't get me wrong. I don't hate Rush or AC/DC. There are things about both bands that I'm not such a big fan of, but overall they are both listenable bands. Granted, I usually go look for something else on the radio if they come on. If there's nothing good on though I'll come back to them.

EXCEPT with the following three songs. When I hear the opening notes to these songs I'm all over the next presets like lightning. Which kind of disappoints me because I used to really like all of these songs. I've just heard them so many god damn times that they truly get on my nerves.

Thunderstruck and Back in Black

Two of the most fucking overplayed songs ever. These are actually songs that are not necessarily overplayed now, but they were several years ago and I still have the aftertaste in my mouth to this day. Thunderstruck and Back in Black started getting old right around the SARS concert of '03 in Toronto. Apparently I'm the only person in Toronto who didn't go to this thing, but in the months following it literally everyone I knew had become an AC/DC fan.

Even people who I knew didn't listen to rock were suddenly AC/DC-crazy. Every crappy guitarist I knew had to try to play the Thunderstruck riff to try to impress their scrawny, beanie-wearing, skateboarding friends. Because they too were fans. Everyone had and AC/DC CD with them and everyone could name their favourite song. It was never For Those About to Rock or Big Balls, just for the record

And so nobody could shut the fuck up about AC/DC and the radio stations wouldn't stop playing every version of Thunderstruck and Back in Black they could find. And soon enough, these two songs I used to love became really, really annoying really really fast.

Now I hear them and bad memories come rushing back. I hear them and think to myself "Ugh! Wasn't anyone around in '03-'04? How can there still be people who don't think this song has completely exhausted itself?"

Thunderstruck is for drunks. These kind of "Fackin' roit!" people that like to chant in a big crowd like they're at some sort of ritual sacrifice. Clearly they're reincarnates of Roman Colosseum spectators. Bunch of savages in this town.

YYZ

I'm so god damn sick of this song. For two reasons. First, my brother plays drums and is a big Rush fan. I've heard "ding d-ding ding, ding d-ding ding ding ding, d-d-" so many times the simple melody haunts my dreams nightly. Second, Q107 has recently taken quite a liking to this song. I don't know why exactly. I seem to hear either the original or some live version at least once a day. On the radio. And then I get home and my brother plays it another god damn fifty times.

I feel kind of bad because YYZ is a really creative song, not like the 3 songs AC/DC seems to rewrite every few years (yeah, I told you there were things about them I don't like). Creative songs should be praised, but I'm always so busy changing the station that praising it seems to slip my mind. I've just heard it way too much

Although, I guess it could be worse. The world could suddenly become completely obsessed with Barbra Streisand tomorrow. Christ, if that happened you would find me dead at the bottom of a tall bridge before day's end.

No comments:

Post a Comment