Friday, March 13, 2009

Calendars That Start On Monday


Good news, folks! Sometimes limited free time and creative juices make you say, "Fuck it." I missed yesterday so today I'm giving you a double shot of rant! Check back later on for another update!

Now on to...calendars that start on Monday. Makes you shudder, don't it? Perhaps you're lost. What is a calendar that starts on Monday? Well, my inquisitive friend, let me explain.

A normal person's calendar runs:
Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday

However, somewhere along the line some yuppie (I'm only guessing, but it had to have been) figured working people might find his work-week-based calendar more helpful:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday

It is not helpful. Not to me, at least. My whole life I grew up with Sunday leading the charge. Sunday was the start of the week. Sure it was part of the weekend, but everyone kind of silently agreed that Sunday was the first day of the week.

And then suddenly I'm an adult with a job and I have to start working with calendars where my friend has been relocated? Balls! It just throws everything off and makes things more confusing.

When I look at a calendar, I'm not looking at the days of the week, I'm looking at the dates. The days of the week are in my head. Monday is second from left, Wednesday is spot on in the middle, Saturday is second from right, etc.

And then Calendar 2.0 comes along and THURSDAY IS NOW IN THE MIDDLE?! MADNESS! And then I have to spend my time lining up days and dates with my finger because my primitive brain can't cope with this earth-shattering change.

Seriously, is there anyone who finds the Monday calendar more user-friendly than the Sunday? Sunday is the first day of the week and has been ever since I can remember. When you make Monday the first day of the week, well, now you're just playing God and I worry about the repercussions of doing so.

5 comments:

  1. Since I don't want to bother creating an account, I'll do this anonymously. Anyway, I've got to say I am also totally against the Monday start calendar for the same reason (by the way, I always thought of weekend days more like bookends, you have one on each side, framing the weekdays).
    My boss evidently believes it is the calendar that radio must follow lest we all fall into a cesspool of...pool-y cess? Something bad.
    It just ends up making me more confused and harder to do the job. I want to hand him a calendar ending on Friday and see how he likes that. Maybe that'll teach them...or be a horrible trend I accidentally start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous- That's a good way of putting it. Saturday and Sunday are like bookends. You don't put two bookends on a shelf beside each other and then lean all the books against them. You need one on either side of the books to keep them up. We can't have all the weekdays toppling over because some joker decided to move Sunday to the end of the row.

    Also, I hate to say it, but there's probably someone out there who thinks a calendar that ends on Friday is a good idea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sunday at the begging calenders actually drive me crazy. there called book endS as in two, one on each end. The weekend is singular because its the end of the week. I've always considered monday to be the first day of the week. ALSO religiously sunday was last. "and on the seventh day god rested" which is why there is church on sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mephedaw- This wasn't exactly supposed to be a thoroughly researched rant, but it IS amazing what a little research can do. Turns out that portions of this post are completely wrong. And so you win with the religious/historical background.

    However, it still irritates me to see Monday first on a calendar and so I can still rant about it! I win with the...personal opinion? Hmmm...that doesn't seem like much of a win...




    I'll let myself out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Mephedaw, if you wish to pull the Bible into this, we could analyze the validity of Sunday being the day of rest (I've often seen Saturday cited as the Sabbath).
    Though I might suggest you think about that, does that mean that we should be off mating on Saturdays, turning on lights on Mondays, and so forth? Since when should we have been the ones to conform to how the Bible had described it?
    Nevermind the idea of how some previous calendars were not based on a seven-day system.

    ReplyDelete