Thursday, March 5, 2009

Shitty Post-Grunge Vocals


Why is it that every time I switch to a radio station playing "today's best rock", I hear this voice? This forced, gravelly, piece of shit voice. There are entirely too many bands around with lead singers that sound like this and it needs to end as soon as possible. Today's best rock. Shit, man, I think we're in a rut.

The bands, as lined up in my little sound montage I spent way too much time on, are Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman, Seether, and Creed. I realize now that I wanted to put Hinder in as well but forgot. I think you get the idea though. They all sound the same. Creed's a little more distinct, but it's still the same basic voice.

When I was in college it was a known fact that nobody in my class liked Nickelback. Most people couldn't even name someone who actually did. It's a small sample, I know, but based on these results...nobody likes Nickelback + several bands that sound exactly the same dominating the airwaves = WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?!

It's just shitty testosterone-rock, is all. It's the musical equivalent of a high school jock. This macho, balls-out, edgy bullshit with no real substance. The jock is not there to offer you any insight or enlightenment, he's there to look intimidating and get the job done (tackling scrawny kids). This mainstream post-grunge crap is there to sound manly and get the job done (sell records to complete fucking morons, wherever they are).

And the problem is that up and coming bands are recognizing that these bands are big and are imitating them in hopes of making it just as big. Theory of a Deadman made it big because their pseudo-Kroeger lead singer gave Chad Kroeger himself a demo tape and he subsequently signed them to his label. That must have been a hard sell. Chad would have looked quite the fool had he put down his headphones and said, "Well now, I don't know. You fellas have the exact same sound as us and your singer sounds exactly like me. However, I'm just not feeling it. Good luck in the future, guys."

How can someone who is garbage to begin with make decisions regarding other peoples' talent? In the end all it means is that there is more diarrhea on the radio. Enough Nickelback clones already and gimme someone that doesn't sound balls awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment