Saturday, April 11, 2009

Husband/Wife Commercials


Sometimes it will be a male/female friendship, but mostly it is a husband and wife team. I'm sure you've heard this type of commercial even if you don't know it. Why? Because they are everywhere and they've become one of the most cliche forms of a two-person spot. The format is ALWAYS the same and I'll lay it out for you now.

-It starts out with a perfectly reasonable conversation between the husband and wife. Partway through the husband says something stupid or just flat out acts like a child. The level-headed wife sternly shoots him down and the commercial always ends with the husband sheepishly apologizing or realizing he's been acting like a dumbass.

-The man is always the animated moron. The wife is always the sane one. It's never the other way around. The man is always a peppy, younger guy. The wife always comes across as having just a hint of "complete bitch" in her personality. And yes, I realize that makes no sense at all. Just try to play along. It's almost gotten to the point where I'm starting to wonder if this is some big conspiracy being played out by feminists to make society believe that men are completely insane and women are always smarter. It may be time to shut off my radio and get out the proverbial tin foil hat once again...

-The guy always apologizes at the end. It's supposed to be for comedic effect apparently. To me it just seems like a Simpsons gag that has been done several times before even though I can't pinpoint a specific case. It was probably funny when the Simpsons did it. I mean I think it's great that a lot of today's humor is Simpson-esque. The Simpsons came up with a lot of brilliant stuff and I've often seen it rub off on the way people act in everyday life. Sometimes you look at a scenario and think, "If the Simpsons never existed, this situation would play out completely differently." I'm getting off topic though. This type of apologetic ending really seems Simpson-esque to me. But it seems like it was written by a Simpsons viewer who maybe thinks they should have been writing for the Simpsons, but in reality they're just not that creative.

Just change it up already. Make the woman the insane one for once. I'm not saying this because I think women are insane, just because this type of commercial needs some variety for heaven's sake. That's if this type of commercial even needs to continue at all. I wouldn't miss it.

I don't know...have the insane guy at the end stand up for what he believes in instead of always apologizing. "Screw you! Screw you all! I am who I am and I like it! You're not going to ruin my fun just because you're a tall, frothy mug of cold, frosty bitch!" And then have We Are the Champions kick in or something. Well...maybe this isn't such a good idea. It doesn't seem to have any relevance to anything. But at least it's more fun.

Please, commercial writers. You're often referred to as the creative department. So USE SOME DAMN CREATIVITY FOR A CHANGE! That is all.


*Special thanks to MG for supplying the commercials*

No comments:

Post a Comment