Saturday, February 21, 2009

Skyler Hornback

(Post removed by request)

Alan,

Thank you for your comment. I have removed the post in question as you can see. I should point out that it was difficult for me to decide whether to remove it or leave it up.

Normally I'd object to censoring myself just because somebody becomes offended or disagrees with me, except in certain rare circumstances. I believe that a person should take ownership and be responsible for their opinions no matter how popular or unpopular they may be.

However, I've decided that this is one of those rare circumstances and so I've made an exception for you. Here's why:

First of all, my original post was made over 3 years ago and I like to think I've grown up in many ways since posting it. I don't feel like I have anything to gain by criticizing a certain kid and it's not going to make me some champion of morals to leave the post up to prove a point. Besides, I watched Skyler's CNN video again before deleting it. Maybe your comment made me see the video from a different perspective or maybe it's just being 3 years older, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as I made it out to be in my original post.

Lastly, and this was a huge deciding factor, your comment(s) were professional and polite. You didn't curse me out or call me names or threaten me. You made a courteous request and explained yourself. I admire that. So I figured the least I could do was to show you, Skyler, and the rest of the family the same respect.

I hope this smoothes things over and there are no hard feelings. Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:

  1. I notice the comment that I made yesterday is no longer online. I will make another.

    Skyler Hornback is being raise on a small family farm a few miles outside Hodgenville. Hodgenville is the largest town in Larue County. It has a population of 3000 at best. Skyler's father works at a local factory and also farms. Skler has spent more time farming than most adults in this country.

    I think the reason that he made the news is because he is extremely intellegent. If you google his name, you will see that he has many significant achievements despite his young age. In addition, he is being raise a few miles from the farm where President Lincoln was born. At the time that he made the speech you are commenting on, he was a 9 year old grade school student.

    Although I have not discussed your comments with Skyler or his parents, I happened to see them a couple of days ago and was upset by them. I would appreciate it if you would take this artice off of your site and off of the internet.

    Thanks,
    Alan Brown (Skyler's uncle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sir, you are a gentlemen. I deeply appreciate it.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I'M SKYLER AND I WOULD JUST LIKE TO LET YOU KNOW I AM NOT UPSET BY YOU POSTING YOU ORIGINAL RESPONSE TO MY VIDEO. I REALIZE I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL, BUT I TRIED MY BEST. I WAS ONLY NINE. I MEMORIZED THE GETTYSBURG ADDRESS WHEN I WAS ONLY SIX. I AM PROUD OF MYSELF AND MY ACCOMPLISHMENTS. I NEVER GOT TO SEE WHAT YOU ORIGINALLY POSTED AND I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT. IF YOU COULD EMAIL ME THIS I WOULD GLADLY LIKE TO SEE IT. I WAS RAISED TO RESPECT OTHERS OPINIONS AND I THINK I MIGHT BENEFIT FROM WHAT YOU HAD TO SAY. PLEASE EMAIL ME AT skylerhornback@yahoo.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete